Saturday, November 20, 2010

Phuket: The Yin and Yang Of Our Phuket Getaway

The Yang


The “Yang” is characterized as fast and aggresive which is the perfect description on how we started our Day 3 at Phuket. We hit Patong beach at 9 am and amazingly there are just a trickle of early sunseekers since most of the tourist were out partying until the wee hours of the morning. With the liberty to find a good place to lounge, we decided to stay near the sun bleached Thai guys manning the Water activities booth.We were just settling down when we were approached with offers of different  activities ranging from the fun banana boat ride to the wild “I had a bad case of vertigo” parasailing. But we have our eye on one water sport activity to feed our thirst for speed in the waters – Jetski. With a bit of talk about Manny Pacquiao and some haggling, we were able to rent a 2 seater jetski for 1,100 Baht for 45 minutes (originally it is only for 30 minutes rental). The weather was good, the sea is like a calm glass and since it is still quite early there are very few boats docking in the beach – and it was the best 45 minutes of speed rush we experienced. At first, I was quite hesitant to put the jetski into a full speed since I’m not really a speed daredevil but once I felt the wind on my face and the taste of the salt water, I just can’t help but to set it to full throttle and cruise along the expanse of the deep blue.

As for the parasailing, I just don’t have the courage to overcome my height phobia so it was a definite no for me. But my friend “I” being an “adrenaline junkie”  tried the parasailing for 1,500 Baht which is about 10 minutes of being suspended over Patong Beach.



The Yin



The “Yin” is characterized as slow,soft and tranquil – Oh yes, we are treating ourselves to an hour of massage after a morning of cruising and swimming in the Andaman Sea. For those who want to rough it up – you definitely have to try an authentic Thai Massage. But for me since I wanted to relax and unwind and not wince in pain (ooppss..did I just said that) – I choose the aromatheraphy massage using Sakura oil. Thai Massage is priced at 350 Baht while the Aromatheraphy massage is priced at 500 Baht. The aromatheraphy massage is very similar to a swedish massage plus the use of aromatheraphy oils while Thai massage is a whole different experience that can’t be described by mere words. After rinsing our feet, we were ushered into individual massage cubicles with a futon (mattress) and what follows is an hour of pure massage bliss as muscles are kneaded and muscle kinks and pains are relieved.

As we end our three days of island getaway, we are all energized to start the year with zest and vigor. I never knew that it is a good thing to start the year by already taking vacation leaves. Now there’s a thought – end of year trip followed by a start of the year trip.If a cellphone needs to be recharged so does this corporate slave needs to be energized to face another year of  an 8 to 5 deskjob.


0 comments:

Post a Comment